Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My Favorite Late Night Snack Recipes

by A.L. Woods, Staff Writer

Let me declare this right up front: Eating late at night is wrong. It's neither good for the waistline nor the digestive system. That being said, eating late at night is one of my small vices. I have a few favorite late-night snack recipes that I'd like to share with you.

Banana Sandwich

This one, from what I understand, is a Southern favorite going a couple of generations back. I'm still amazed at the number of folks who look at me askew when I describe the joys of eating a banana sandwich.

What's Needed:

2 slices of bread (I prefer honey wheat)
1 ripe banana
Mayonnaise (some people prefer Miracle Whip)
Peanut butter

Spread mayo in an amount to your preference on one slice of the bread. Do the same on the other slice of bread with the peanut butter.

Slice the banana in half, then slice each half in half lengthwise. Arrange neatly on one of the bread slices.

Close the sandwich with the slice of bread not used as the bed for the banana slices.

Enjoy!

Believe it or not, this sandwich is a nice source of protein (the peanut butter), carbs (the banana), and fats (the mayo).

Popcorn with a Kick!

Popcorn on its own doesn't appeal to me at all. However, when I prepare it as I describe it below I can't keep my hands off of it; neither can my husband.

What's Needed:
A bag of microwaveable popcorn
Real butter
Seasoned salt
Garlic powder
Spicy Chili Powder
Cinnamon
Pancake syrup

Pop the popcorn in the microwave as per the instructions on the bag.

Melt butter in a measure of your taste in a saucepan.

Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Pour melted butter on top.

Sprinkle seasoned salt, garlic powder, spicy chili powder, and cinnamon to taste over top of buttered popcorn.

Drizzle pancake syrup over the top.

Toss everything to blend.

Enjoy, and be sure to share with someone else.


Strawberry-Banana-Orange Smoothie

The preparation for this is unbelievably easy, and it will leave your taste buds begging for more.

What's Needed:
1 large ripe banana
6 large strawberries
8 oz. of orange juice
3 ice cubes
Agave nectar

Place ice cubes in blender.

Add banana, strawberries, and orange juice. Drizzle with agave nectar.

Blend.

Pour into a glass and enjoy.
As you can see, late-night snacks don't have to be boring and you don't have to settle for something that won't satisfy. I hope that you enjoy these recipes. Let me know what you think in the comments box below.

Source:
Personal experience

*Photo: Seth Anderson via Flickr


[Originally published on Yahoo! Voices on 06/01/2014 (no longer published there).]

No comments:

Post a Comment