Monday, October 20, 2014

How to Use Glide to Keep in Contact with Family and Friends

by A.L. Woods, Staff Writer

I love technology! The more it evolves, the more developers find creative ways to use it to enable us to stay connected with those that we love. One of my favorite apps is Glide. Glide is a great app to use to stay in contact with family and friends through the use of video messages.

Glide is very simple to install. iPhone users can download it from iTunes and Android users, like me, can get it straight from the Play Store. It can be downloaded on both smartphones and tablets, depending on your preference.

Since starting to use Glide I've been able to do a better job of staying connected with those that I love. As a freelance writer, my hours can sometimes make it difficult for me to stay in contact as I prefer staying up late at night to write and create. This means that by far and large I keep 'vampire hours' -- sleeping during the day. With Glide I can just open the app, hit the Record button, and it will video record the message that I want to send.

You can use Glide to record messages for either individuals or groups. My family members and I have been able to plan entire family get-togethers efficiently just by using this app despite how busy each of us are.

I also use Glide to send little thinking of you messages to my nieces, nephews, and godchildren. I like to send them consistent words of encouragement to help them stay on track with their studies and just to let them know that they are loved and thought about.

The thing that sets Glide apart from other video chatting apps is that the other party doesn't have to be present in real time for you to record and send your message. It follows the same basic principle as texting, only you're sending a video message instead of a text. The receiving party can view and respond at their leisure. No pressure. No trying to coordinate times to meet online.

I'm also trying to come up with a way to use Glide in my business to keep in touch with my clients or provide updates to them. The only challenge is that in working from home I'm not always dressed at my best, and I'm sure that clients don't consider PJs and head scarves professional business attire.

If you love technology too and are looking for new and creative ways to stay in contact with your own family and friends, then give Glide a try. I guarantee that you'll be hooked from your very first recording.

Sources:
Google Play Store
Glide
Personal experience

[Originally published on Yahoo! Voices on 06/22/2014 (no longer published there).]

No comments:

Post a Comment