|My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in my favorite case.|
I'm a techie girl at heart. If it's a computer, portable music player, e-reader, or just a tech gadget in general, I can tell you in advance that I love it. My primary passion though is cell phones, and my absolute favorite at the moment is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Here are my top 10 reasons why I love this phone:
- Operating system (OS). The Galaxy Note 3 is an Android phone, and Android powers phones to do just what I need them to do.
- Huge screen. At 5.7" the screen is the perfect size for over-50 eyes and for fingers used to speed typing on a standard-size keyboard.
- Stylus. This is what truly sets this phone apart from its competitors. It's not just that you can use it as a pen to type in text. The power is that you can use it as a controller to command the phone to do actual tasks.
- Battery life. Although I've received decent battery life from some of the phones that I've had in the past, the Galaxy Note 3 is a beast in this area. I'm a power user, constantly checking email, social media, and sending and receiving texts during the day, yet by the end of the evening I still have at least 20% left on a charge. This is even taking into account the fact that I like a bright screen, so I don't set mine on auto; I have it geared up to its full brightness.
- Memory. Again, I'm a power user, and one of the things that I like about this phone is that it multitasks. Multitasking requires a higher reserve of memory, and with 3 GB of RAM it handles anything that I throw at it efficiently.
- Computer in my pocket. The Note 3 is the next best thing to carrying around a computer in your pocket. Almost anything that I do on my desktop or laptop I can do on this phone. Don't get me wrong; it will never replace my computers, but it certainly enhances my ability to be more mobile with less poundage.
- Ergonomics. I love the way that the Galaxy Note 3 fits in my hand. It just feels right, and it's comfortable. It's large enough where I'm not always wary about dropping it, yet small enough that I don't feel that I'm toting a full-size tablet around.
- Customizations. I make this phone uniquely me. If I don't like the keyboard, I change it. If I don't like the wallpaper, I choose one that's more reflective of my personality. I can arrange the apps on my home screens in a format that's intuitive for me.
- Notification light. As a past Blackberry user, one of the things that I liked about that phone was the notification light -- something that I missed in my subsequent phones. With the Galaxy Note 3, the notification light is back! I can tell at a glance by the color whether I have email, texts, or other types of messages.
- Camera. The rear-facing camera is awesome. At 13MP my photos and videos come out with superb clarity. They've also really improved the auto-focus, minimizing blurriness and fuzziness.
*Note: Rumor has it that the Galaxy Note 4 is scheduled for release in Fall 2014.
*Photo: (c) Angela Lane Woods
[Originally published on Yahoo! Voices on 06/15/2014 (no longer published there).]