As I continue to age, I find that I'm being more proactive about taking steps to ensure more optimal health. To this end, I've compiled 10 tips for living a healthier life. Don't just read them; put them into practice and watch as your energy level goes up and your ailments diminish.
- Eat healthier. Food is the body's fuel. It's not just for enjoyment; it's intended as a nutrient source for the body to draw on to nourish blood, body systems, and vital organs. You'll have a greater sense of wellbeing once you start to eat clean.
- Drink more water. Every living organism known to man needs water in order to survive. A well-hydrated body just functions more efficiently. Skin takes on a new glow. Hair and nails thrive. You even sleep better.
- Get more sleep. Number 2 was a great segue into this one. You must get adequate rest in order for the body to repair and recover from the day's stresses. Everybody's sleep needs are different. Find the amount of rest that's right for you and get that much sleep every day.
- Exercise more. Modern day culture makes the issue of exercise much too complicated. What it boils down to is just to get moving more. Walk, bend, jump, run, skip, do housework, whatever. Just get moving. Your body will thank you for it.
- Reduce stress. Negative stress causes the body to release toxic hormones throughout the system. These toxic hormones cause us to age faster and impede our body systems from functioning at their maximum efficiency.
- Develop relationships. This point is very important. Man was not created to live in isolation. Cultivating friendships and family relationships is essential to optimal health.
- Work on personal development. Read, discuss ideas, explore, grow. Be self-aware and correct those issues in your personal being that prevent you from becoming all that you can be.
- Tap into the Higher Power. Learn the nature of your Creator and get to know Him. Go to church. Learn how to be a better person. Building strength in this area alone will help sustain you during difficult and challenging times.
- Learn sensible financial management. When your money doesn't flow well, life doesn't seem to go well. Learn basic money management principles and reduce the stress in your life.
- Live with purpose. Get focused on your vision for life and operate in purpose. What is your primary mission while you are here on the earth? Answer this question and many areas of your life will come together in a way that makes sense.
*Disclaimer: Always be certain to consult a physician about any ongoing or perceived health issues.
WebMD: Healthy Living: 8 Steps to Take Today
MedicineNet.com: Health Tips for Healthy Living
USAToday: 7 Tips for Living a Healthier Life
*Photo: Richard Barrett-Small via Flickr
[Originally published on Yahoo! Voices on 07/02/2014 (no longer published there).]